The job of a call center agent would be easy if all they had were happy customers calling to say how great their service is. Unfortunately, it’s not always the case.
For the most part, customers call when they have a problem. This means it’s very probable agents deal with more than one unhappy customer a day. While some customers keep their cool more than others, many will be hurried, stressed, and unfortunately, even rude at times.
However, working in the customer service industry it’s our job to find solutions to their issues and give them great service, even if it might seem hard to do at times.
We are only human and it’s normal we react to stress. Nonetheless, it’s important we understand that the customer has nothing against us personally and it’s our job to empathize and solve their queries.
As customer service is often done through phone, chat or email, a huge part of our communication is lost: our body language. Experts say body language is 80% of what we communicate to another person.
With this absent, we must emphasize the second most important communication tools: our tone of voice followed by our words. By knowing how to master both, you will be on the path to customer service success.
So you don’t have to search for your words or regret what accidently slipped out of your mouth, here are a few customer service phrases to help you get started on the job.
- “Good morning/afternoon/evening!” my name is … how can I help you?
- Nice to meet you, my name’s … How can I assist you today?
Tackling a problem
- Do you mind holding while I check on that?
- I can certainly help you…
- I understand you are… , let me see what I can do to help you.
- That’s a great question, let me see what I do for you (name of client)
- I know how confusing it can be when…
- I’m sorry this happened to you (name of client)
- (Name of client), I understand your concern. Let me see if I can reorient your call to someone who might be able to better assist you.
Closing a call
- I’m glad I could help, have a great day (name of client).
- It was my pleasure assisting you today (name of client).
- Is there anything else I can do for you (name of client).
- Do you have any other questions for me today (name of client)?
- Your opinion helps us improve. Would you have a minute to tell us/share what you thought of my assistance?
- Thanks for your honesty and taking the time to tell us…..
These starter customer service phrases show that as an agent, you are willing to collaborate and able to empathize with the customer. In addition, inserting the client’s name in your conversations makes it more personal and doesn’t sound like the typical canned answer.
Do you have any advice as to how to handle a sticky situation with a customer or how to push the right buttons without adding to the fire? We’d love to hear more about your ideas in the comment box below!